Over the course of the past few months we have added and revised a number of chapters in the McMaster Textbook of Internal Medicine. Below you can find a quick summary of the most noteworthy changes you may not want to miss.
New chapters developed and supervised by experts from McMaster University.
Signs and Symptoms
- Transfusion of Blood and Blood Products, including Transfusion Reactions and Procedure; Granulocyte Concentrate; Irradiation of Blood Products; Packed Red Blood Cell (PRBC) Products; Platelet Concentrates; Plasma, Plasma Proteins, and Fractionated Blood Products
- Chapters on immunization: Diphtheria and Tetanus; Hepatitis A; Hepatitis B; Human Papillomavirus; Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR); Neisseria meningitidis (Meningococcal) Infections; Pneumococcal Infections; Poliomyelitis; Rabies; SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19); Seasonal Influenza; Tick-Borne Encephalitis; Varicella Zoster (Chickenpox and Shingles); as well as Immunization Prior to Travel to Endemic Areas
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) accompanied by COVID-19: Computed Tomography (CT) and COVID-19: Point-of-Care Ultrasonography (POCUS)
- Chief Adverse Effects of Psychotropic Medications: Extrapyramidal Symptoms, Catatonia, Serotonin Syndrome, and Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- Cognitive Assessment in Medical Settings
- Physician Health and Wellness
- Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders
Toxicology, Clinical Pharmacology, Addiction
- Opioids: Opioids and Opioid Use Disorder: General Considerations, Acute Opioid Toxicity, and Acute Opioid Withdrawal in the Emergency Department
Content revisions are conducted continuously. Updated chapters include the following:
- Cardiology: Chapters discussing Anticoagulant Treatment; Cardiac Arrest; Venous Thromboembolism (VTE), including Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
- Gastroenterology: Clostridium (Clostridioides) difficile Infection (CDI)
- Hematology: Hemostasis Disorders, Neoplastic and Other Proliferative Disorders
- Infectious Diseases: Antimicrobial Agents, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Vaccines: SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
- Psychiatry: Depressive Disorders
- Rheumatology: Antiphospholipid Syndrome; Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), Systemic Sclerosis (SSc)
Mobile app updates
All the new and revised chapters are easily accessible through our mobile apps for iOS and Android devices. The mobile apps are also regularly updated on the go to improve the general comfort of use and stability.
Starting January 2021, full access to the mobile apps now requires a subscription (read more). Users who do not wish to subscribe are still able to access selected modules, including In the Spotlight articles and a number of demo chapters (with COVID-19 updates available to everyone).
We have been keeping track of our COVID-19 resources through the COVID-19 resource hub.
We have received very generous feedback, which has helped us tremendously in developing new content as well as fixing some technical issues. We would like to thank our readers for sharing their valuable insights.
If you have any suggestions or ideas, we are always happy to hear from you. You can always reach us at [email protected].